Black Bean Kitchari
Get into the groove of cooking some delicious, healthy meals this lockdown. This fragrant dish is easy to whip up yet super tasty.
3 tbsp ghee (or coconut oil)*
1 large onion chopped
4cm piece of ginger grated
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp nigella seeds (optional)*
2 tsp mustard seeds*
2 tsp fenugreek seeds*
2 tsp fennel seeds*
2 tsp cumin seeds*
2 tsp ground turmeric*
1 tsp ground coriander*
½ tsp ground cumin*
1 tsp fine himalayan salt*
1 tsp cracked black pepper*
2 bay leaves*
1 ½ cups brown or black rice *
2 cups crushed black beans (or 5 cups cooked black beans)*
4 cups chopped vegetables of your choice
6 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth *
5 cups water
1 can coconut cream*
Fresh coriander, chutney & yoghurt to serve
All ingredients with an * can be found at Scoop Wholefoods
- Heat ghee or coconut oil in a large pot over low heat.
- Add the seeds and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Next add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent and beginning to brown.
- I crushed dried black beans in my Vitamix, however if you don’t have a powerful food processor then use the cooked beans instead and half the broth, water and coconut cream.
- Add your black beans, rice and veggies and stir before adding the broth, water and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer until beans and rice are cooked. This will depend on whether you used dry crushed beans or cooked beans. Add extra liquid if needed.
- Last add the coconut cream and cook until creamy.
- Serve hot with optional coconut yoghurt, chutney, coriander or even poppadoms and naan.