These delicious halloween treats were created by my good friend @themalteseolive. They taste fantastic and will please all the family. Though these look really fancy they’re so easy to make. The only specialist equipment you will need is a toothpick!
- 170g butter, at room temperature*
- 1 cup coconut sugar*
- 3 eggs
- 1 small orange, finely grated zest only
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plain flour or gluten-free plain flour*
- ¾ cup raw cocoa powder*
- 1 tsp baking powder*
- ½ tsp salt*
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate buttons, chopped*
- 150g dark chocolate buttons*
- 150g white chocolate
All ingredients with an * can be found at Scoop Wholefoods
Click here to shop online from our Bath shop
Click here to shop online from our Bristol shop
Check out more of our lovely recipes here
Chocolate Spider Web Cupcakes
- Cream the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the mixture down from the sides with every addition.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and the orange zest.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the sour cream and mix, followed by the remaining flour and mix.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Fill cupcake papers in a muffin tin to three quarters of the way up.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until a skewer placed in the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack until completely cold.
- Melt the dark and white chocolate in two separate bowls.
- Cover half the cupcakes in dark chocolate and half in white chocolate.
- Put the remaining melted chocolate in piping bags and pipe three circles of dark chocolate on the white chocolate covered cupcakes in a target shape, starting with a dot in the middle and ending with a large circle close to the edge of the cupcake.
- Repeat with white chocolate on the dark chocolate covered cupcakes.
- Before the chocolate sets, drag a toothpick from the centre of the cupcake to the side. Repeat this process to around six points on the cupcake until you have the desired spider web effect.
- Allow to cool until the chocolate is completely set.
This recipe and many more can be found at The Maltese Olive