Homemade South Indian Curry
Light and easy to make curry, inspired by South Indian recipes. It is full of healthy veggies and is naturally vegan.
2 Onions, sliced thinly
10 Curry leaves*
2 tbsp Coconut oil*
4 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 Green chilli
5cm Fresh ginger, roughly chopped
1 tsp Turmeric*
1 tsp Chilli powder*
400ml can Coconut milk*
150g Chickpeas, pre boiled*
1/2 Butternut squash
Bunch of spinach
Fresh coriander and chillies to serve
All ingredients with an * can be found at Scoop
1. Sautée the onions and curry leaves in the coconut oil for 8-10 mins. Unit golden.
2. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger to a pestle and mortar and bash into a paste (or just chopped finely).
3. Add the spice paste to the pan and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the turmeric and chilli powder for a further minute.
4. Add the butternut, chickpeas and coconut milk. Stir well, cover and allow to simmer for 20-30 mins, until the butternut is soft.
5. Place the basmati rice in a pot with 300ml water. Bring to the boil uncovered, then cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave covered for a further 10 mins.
6. Before taking the curry off the heat, mix in the spinach until wilted.
7. Serve the curry with basmati rice, fresh chillies and fresh coriander.