Delicious, healthy and tasty meat-free meatballs in a rich tomato sauce. Served on a bed of basmati rice it makes an excellent healthy dinner.
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes *
- large pinch dried chilli flakes *
- 240g basmati rice *
- x3 roasted red peppers, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp capers *
- handful pitted olives, chopped*
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar *
- a handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- 75g quinoa*
- drizzle of olive oil*
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- x3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika *
- 400g cooked black beans (200g dried beans, soaked & cooked) *
- 1 egg
- 30g dried breadcrumbs*
All ingredients with an * can be found at Scoop Wholefoods
- To make the meatballs, cook the quinoa in a large pan of boiling water until just cooked, then drain really well and cool. Drizzle the base of a deep, non-stick frying pan with oil then cook the onion with a splash of water and a pinch of salt for 5 minutes until the water has evaporated and the onion has softened. Add the garlic and paprika, and cook for few more minutes, then cool.
Tip the quinoa, onion mixture, beans, egg and breadcrumbs into a food processor with a little seasoning and whizz until smooth-ish. Use clean, wet hands to form into 20 balls, each about the size of a walnut, put onto a tray and chill for 15 minutes.
Heat more oil in the frying pan and cook the meatballs, in batches, until browned all over, then scoop out onto a plate. Tip the tomatoes into the pan with 200ml of water, the chilli flakes and sugar, and use a masher to crush into small pieces. Season and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced.
Cook the rice in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water, then drain well.
Add the meatballs into the sauce along with the peppers, capers and olives. Simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes until the meatballs are piping hot. Add the vinegar, plus a splash of water if it is getting a little dry.
Divide the rice between bowls and top with the meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle over the parsley, if using, to serve.
Recipe taken from Olive Magazine